A recent Senate Bill (June 14, 2010) sponsored by Senators Snowe and Klobuchar, S. 3483, which has been referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation proposes major new regulatory provisions including:
- An annual registration fee
- New distinctive registration numbers for motor carriers, forwarders, and brokers
- New eligibility entry requirements for forwarders and brokers including demonstration of qualified experience and character
- New financial security measures for brokers and freight forwarders to pay claims in the amount of $100,000
- Penalties for unlawful brokerage activities.
See proposed bill below.